Sunday, September 29, 2013

GameMaker:Studio vs GameMaker 8 in relation to GameMaker's Apprentice

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to make a quick post about the book GameMaker's Apprentice.  Just yesterday, I finished the book and completed all of the projects. I'd like to recommend this book to anyone new to GameMaker as it is an excellent learning tool and very thorough.

As I mentioned before, the book references to GameMaker 8 and not GameMaker:Studio.  I had previously posted about issues I had encountered when completing the lessons with GameMaker:Studio and I would like to make a few comments about the issues.  I was able to complete every project in the book with very few issues.

 At first I was a little concerned that perhaps I would be unable to finish the book with Studio, but after completing it I now realize that those issues were very small and the book is 99.5% compatible with Studio.  Honestly, the issues that I did encounter, while annoying, helped me learn the program better since I had to figure out a work-around on my own.

For anyone starting this book and considering buying GameMaker 8 as opposed to GameMaker:Studio, I would definitely recommend going with Studio.  It has so many more features, much more user friendly, and if you are interested in publishing at some point Studio is always being updated while the older versions of GameMaker have been discontinued.

I just started the GameMaker's Companion book today, this is the next book in the series.  I am really looking forward to this read, and I hope I can learn as much as I did with GameMaker's Apprentice!

No comments:

Post a Comment